Landing your dream gig...
Hello my loves,
Hope you're having a wonderful Tuesday. First of all, let’s take a moment to drop those shoulders, drink in a few deep breaths, and let the rest of the world go. Feel your heart beating for you, your breath filling your body and just allow... yourself.... to.... relax. Sweet. You did great. :) So here we are together again, and today I wanted to share some of my experiences to help and inspire you to follow your dreams. I know that it's easy to become overwhelmed and wonder what the point is sometimes, when things don't seem to be going your way or resistance, fear, and doubt take over. Trust me, as someone who's been in a ball crying wondering wtf she's doing with her life not too long ago, I can relate. Here goes. (Btw, I'm better now. lol)
For as long as I can remember, my dream was to be a touring musician. I’m so grateful that I’ve gotten that opportunity, and people always ask me how I managed to land the Pink gig. It’s not the type of question that can be answered in a few sentences, or even in a 10 minute conversation. It’s a combination of all of my life experiences, both musical and personal, and I believe the opportunity arose when it was absolutely meant to, in that perfect intersect of time and space. I followed my heart, and that little voice inside that said to me “Hey, she’s coming out with a new record – maybe she’ll need musicians for her touring band. You should look into that.” Of course the story is much more complex than that (and I will share more about it later), but here are 5 things that I can share right now to help you land your own dream gig.
1) Set an intention. Find that dream that rattles your core and sets your soul on fire. You’ll know. You’ll feel it in your bones. Remember, it doesn't have to be what other people want, what other people think you should want, or what you feel is expected of you. It's simply what you want.
2) Baby steps. Don’t focus on the giant end goal and the million of things you have to do to get there. Find the very first step and take it, the rest will follow. Celebrate successes.
3) Take the leap. Jump in even before you think you’re ready! You will learn along the way, and may even surprise yourself with how much you already know and how quickly you’re learning.
4) Be yourself. People can spot phonies a mile away. On top of that, if you get the gig playing the role of someone else, it will be stressful and difficult to keep up the façade. If you don’t get the gig being yourself, it will be likely that something else will come up that is better suited for your unique talents and strengths.
5) Don’t be afraid of failure. Most people are so afraid to fail that they become paralyzed, and don’t even bother trying. They are afraid of getting hurt, being embarrassed, wasting time, etc. When I flew myself out to LA to audition, I didn’t think I was actually going to get the gig. I put myself out there, knowing either way it would be a learning experience. Of course I wanted the gig with all my heart, but I didn’t stop myself from trying just because it wasn’t a sure thing.
Oh, the trip down memory lane. It’s one of those times where I look back at all the “dots” in my life and see how they all connect. Reading my 5 tips now, I’m inspired to take my own advice as I embark on my own journey with my band, Belle Ayre. I’m right there with you. No matter where you are in life, there is always somewhere to go, your dreams are always evolving, and you're always growing and changing. The trick is to find happiness in each moment, and honour exactly where you are. So let’s do this, friends! Hitch that wagon to a star and see where the wind takes you...
What are your dreams? What has been holding you back? Leave me a comment below, I’d love to hear from you and support you in any way that I can. Also, you can subscribe to my mailing list so we can be in touch through e-mail.
With love and to beautiful dreams,